Friday, November 4, 2022

One chapter ends, another begins

 

After 41 years and nine days at The Providence Journal, I completed my final shift on Friday, November 4, 2022. I left voluntarily, after deep reflection.

Last day at my newsroom desk. Photo by Michael Delaney.

During my long tenure, I was privileged to work with (and mentor) some of America's finest journalists, a few still at The Projo and others deceased, retired, or moved on to other opportunities. I owe all of them a huge debt of gratitude. I count many as friends. 

Writing for the paper brought me to places and people I never could have known otherwise -- publicly prominent people such as sociologist and author Tricia Rose, Civil Rights leader and Martin Luther King. Jr. associate Bernard LaFayette Jr., researcher and emergency room physician Dr. Megan L. Ranney, and White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha, and the far more numerous and diverse folk from all walks of life who did not have such prominence but whose circumstances, challenges, and triumphs reflected the rainbow of humanity.

So thanks to all of these people in the thousands of stories I wrote starting in October 1981. Stories that included breaking news, profiles, health and medical pieces (including primary Journal coverage of the coronavirus pandemic from January 2020 to October 2022), and my journalistic passion since 1983: mental health and developmental and intellectual disabilities. 

My first story: Oct. 28, 1981

Over the decades, I won many awards and honors, including being a member of the Journal team that was a Pultizer Public Service finalist for our coverage of the devastating 2003 Station nightclub fire.

The Journal was the launchpad for my non-fiction book career and even helped further my fiction writing, with several stories that were published in the long-gone Sunday magazine.

And it was also the launchpad for my visiting fellowship at the Pell Center at Salve Regina University, my founding and directorship of the Story in the Public Square program, and my position as co-host and co-executive producer of the multiple national Telly Award-winning PBS/SiriusXM show "Story in the Public Square," and much more. 

And so, departing is bittersweet. 

Bitter remembering all that was so good and now is behind. 

Sweet contemplating the adventures that await. 

Stay tuned for details about them as they are announced, and they will be soon!

Postscript on 12/30/23: The adventure that awaited was Ocean State Stories, which launched on February 7, 2023.

75 Fountain St., Providence R.I., on my last day.


17 comments:

  1. Congratulations on an amazing newspaper career :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on all your past achievements and all of the ones that are sure to come!! I can't wait to see what you do next...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so pleased and proud to know you both professionally and personally. You are a dear friend. Blessings and enjoy this new phase of your life's journey. Now we should be able to get together for lunch. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on such a wonderful career, I was proud to be in one of those many stories and had the pleasure to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, congratulations on your ProJo career - and to leave on your own terms is especially admirable! Your reporting will be missed. Best wishes on the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Wayne. You have so much to be proud of. On to the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Done and Best Wishes!
    From:
    Patricia Painter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the next chapter. You'll be missed. - Katie Landeck

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations and Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had a remarkable career at a great paper. I always enjoyed your writing and keen eye. Wishing you good health.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on today's "coming of age" and your own exit from a stage where you've had a remarkable run. Sending you a standing ovation and encores galore!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!! I met you when you did the story of my Grandfather 100th birthday party. His name was John Shaw.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Buon viaggio! Keep us posted, and thanks for all you have done shining light in places where it was desperately needed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on all your accomplishments! Good luck in your NEW career! I'm sure you won't slow down!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Life is full of transitions - this is one you can be proud of!

    ReplyDelete