Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Virginia students win with their National History Day project about open heart surgery!

Some while ago, two students in Forest, Virginia, reached out to me regarding a National History Day project they were producing about the birth of open-heart surgery, the focus of my book “King of Hearts: The True Story of theMaverick Who Pioneered Open Heart Surgery.”

I am always happy to help, however modestly, with enterprising young people, so along with their teacher, Regan Alber and Audrey Stinnett got on a Zoom call with me. I followed up by providing some photos of the Father of open Heart Surgery, the late Dr. C. Walton Lillehei.

So imagine how excited I was for Regan and Audrey and their teacher when I received this email recently:

“We presented our project today and it went very well. We received a perfect score, and won the ‘Best in Show’ award which means that we won first place out of all 5 categories! We are going to continue our NHD journey by attending CVCC National History Day. Again, thank you so much for everything!”

I wish them the best of luck as they continue with NHD and in their career aspirations.

Here is the video:


No comments:

Post a Comment