Saturday, February 8, 2020

Meant to be: An amazing story and coincidence


           I regularly receive emails from readers of my books and I always respond. This chain, however, stands out. Really quite remarkable.
           The background: For many years now, I have visited Hardy Hendren on his birthday, Feb. 7 (which also happens to be my daughter Katy's birthday!). Hardy is the retired chief of surgery at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard Medical School professor emeritus, whose story I told in my first non-fiction book, "The Work of Human Hands." I treasure my visits with him and his wife, Eleanor, at their home in Duxbury, Mass.
           Three days before my visit this year, I received an email from Julia (Moore) Williamson, who had just happened upon the book. What she wrote stunned me, as did the timing: just three days before I would visit Hardy and Eleanor, deliverance a gift and sharing a fine meal.
           Hardy during his distinguished career separated several pairs of conjoined twins (formerly known as Siamese twins) and Julia and her later sister were two of them.
           With Julia's permission, I shared her story with Hardy and Eleanor, and two of their sons, Will and Robbie (both doctors themselves). We all were deeply moved.

Hardy, center, with Eleanor, Robbie and Will Hendren, Feb. 7 in Duxbury.
                 
            Herewith what Julia wrote and I shared in Duxbury on Feb. 7, 2020, when Hardy turned 94:


-- First email from Julia:
Feb 4 at 7:47 PM

Hi, my name is Julia, I came across the book “The work of Human hands” and am just starting to read it. I was actually a patient of Hardy back in 1984, my sister and I are the Moore twins that were separated. I was wondering if you still speak with Hardy? I would love to share my journey with you both!
Thank you!


Caitlin, left, and Julia.

-- My first response:
Feb. 5 at 5:21 AM

Hi, Julia,
Yes, I still do. I will be with him Friday in fact, on his 94th birthday. Send along your journey and I will be glad to share with him.


-- Julia’s response back:
Feb. 6 at 12:38PM

That’s great!
My twin sister Caitlin had quite the journey, more than me. Dr Hendren separated us when we were only 12 hours old. I was born pretty healthy, but Caitlin had struggles.  When we were born, they did not think Caitlin would survive the separation, but my parents made the decision to separate us so that we both had a chance at the best quality of life. Caitlin was born with a condition called situs inversus, meaning she was my mirror twin and all of her organs were backwards and her heart was in the middle of her chest. 
Throughout the years Caitlin had numerous surgeries including 6 open-heart surgeries, thyroid surgery, a pacemaker, gallbladder surgery and so many others. In 2005, Caitlin suffered a major stroke causing brain damage and paralysis. Doctors had said, for the second time, she would not survive. Proving doctors wrong, she did. With the help of her family, friends and lots of therapy, Caitlin overcame yet another hurdle, learning to walk, talk, eat, and swallow all over again.
    Over the years Caitlin went into both heart and liver failure but was willing to try any and every avenue before a transplant was an option. Throughout all of her medical issues, Caitlin managed to have a smile on her face, a positive outlook and the kindest heart. If Caitlin learned someone was having a bad day, or had experienced a loss, she reached out to them, despite how well she knew them, sending cards, flowers, kind words or most often, a beautiful angel.
  After battling an infection from a recent tap to drain fluid from her heart failure, Caitlin passed away on November 19th, 2018 surrounded by her family.
Caitlin was the most beautiful soul. I personally would like to thank him for giving us both the best chance, best outcome and for giving Caitlin 34 beautiful years.
 I am married with 2 beautiful children and live up in Windham NH. I have gone on to get my Bachelors Degree and am currently a Social Worker at New England Pediatric Care, a nursing home for Children. My goal in life is to continue to give back with the blessings i have been given .
I started this page in her memory http://www.facebook.com/kindnessforcaitlin/ and hope to one day start a non profit. Recently i ran on the Children’s hospital Miles for Miracles team and will soon to begin training for  the Boston Marathon 2021.
Please wish him my best !

~ Julia (Moore) Williamson

ps

I feel like when you live a life like we have, you appreciate every single day and know that everything happens for a reason. I only found out a few days ago about your book and had to reach out immediately. I also believe timing is everything (especially when it’s only a few days before his birthday) .
I just wanted to share that with you.
~ God always has a plan

POSTSCRIPT: Julia has not seen Hardy since she was a baby, but she will be visiting him and Eleanor some day soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment