Thursday, November 10, 2011

Department of Veterans Affairs Award


As part of the VA's Veterans Day ceremonies, Providence Journal colleague John Freidah and I spoke today at the Providence VA Medical Center, where we have been regular visitors for almost half a year as we put together our eight-part series about veterans of the post-9/11 conflicts, WAR ON TERROR: Coming Home. The series, which included five videos, wrapped Monday. In addition to our remarks, we showed the final video, about two Bronze-Star winner Derek Pelletier. Some in the audience of about 100 cried.

It was indeed a powerful ceremony, a tribute to veterans and for John and me, a fitting cap to our efforts.

And then, a surprise: Citations from the VA in recognition of our work. I cannot tell you how honored I was. I have won many awards in my many years a journalist, but this ranks above them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment